In today’s modern times, compressed air is essential to the operation of various settings, particularly in emergency rooms, clinics, and intensive care facilities. Just like any mechanical equipment, an air compressor requires adequate lubrication to ensure optimum performance. In this regard, two configurations of air compressors have become widely available. Comparisons between an oil-operated versus an oil-free air compressor system continue to spark debate among experts. This article focuses on an oil-free air compressor’s primary features, followed by a list of its pros and cons.
What Is an Air Compressor?
Typically, the air we breathe often is mixed with pollutants and contaminants, which poses a great danger to our health. But machinery used in health clinics also need clean air to operate efficiently. Luckily, an air compressor can filter the air, making it free from unwanted dust and debris. Compressed air keeps medical equipment clean and drives pneumatic devices in various settings.
While many facilities use oil-lubricated compressors, oil-free air compressors are quick to gain popularity. As its name suggests, an oil-free air compressor does not require oil for its lubrication. Instead, its piston comes with Teflon coatings that help in lowering friction. This characteristic element minimises the interaction between oil and compressed air, which is an outstanding feature, especially in the healthcare environment.
What Are the Features of Oil-free Compressors?
The highest quality of air
An oil-free air compressor lowers the chances of contamination. In an oil-lubricated compressor, there is a possibility of oil droplets, mist, and vapours coming into contact with the compressed air. Once these elements find their way into the output air, it lowers air quality and poses a significant health risk. An oil-free compressor delivers top-quality air useful for critical applications.
Lower operating cost
Compressed air from an oil-free air compressor is a relatively cheaper alternative than a traditional oil-lubricated compressor. Aside from saving costs from using oil condensate treatments, it also helps cut expensive filter replacements.
Oil-lubricated air compressors make use of condensate treatments. These treatments are hazardous wastes that potentially harm our ecosystem. The good thing about oil-free compressed air is that it follows international regulations while minimising the chances of leaks and energy consumption. These characteristics play an integral role in the environment.
Wide range of usage
Compressed air from an oil-free compressor has a higher quality than those that come from oil-lubricated compressors. This feature allows the compressor to cover a wide range of usage.
What Are the Pros and Cons of Oil-free Air Compressors?
- It comes in smaller sizes and lower cost. Oil-free compressors are free from excess machinery because it does not have an oil regulation feature. It is lighter and more compact than the traditional air compressors.
- It does not require any upkeeping. There are little to no maintenance requirements needed for an oil-free compressor. You don’t have to spend time changing or adding oil as well as its filters.
- You have the assurance of clean and dry air. With an oil-free compressor, you are sure that the air coming out of the unit is not contaminated and free from oil and lubricants. You can directly use it in various operating rooms and surgical facilities.
- It is workplace-friendly. You do not have to face a messy work area because no oil and lubricant operations are necessary. These characteristics also reduce the generation of waste and other by-products, making it more environmentally friendly.
- Improper usage can lead to durability concerns. Since an oil-free air compressor comes with a friction-resistant coating, the machine’s improper use heightens the chances of some parts wearing off. Certain areas are also vulnerable to friction and damages, which breaks a lot quicker than the traditional ones.
- The machinery can generate noise. When the internal parts of an oil-less compressor rub together, it can create pretty loud noises. However, more modern models are now working smoothly because of their soundproofing features.
Why Choose a Cattani Oil-free Air Compressor?
If you are looking for a high-quality oil-free compressor, you’ve come to the right place. Experts highly recommend Cattani oil-free air compressors because of their safe and reliable air compression technology. Whether for medical facilities, dental clinics, or laboratory use, Cattani oil-free compressors got you covered with their state-of-the-art features.
We know how much air quality air is vital in your practice. That’s why we at Critical Dental are sure to provide you with only the best products possible. We offer a wide range of dental equipment and supplies that will surely satisfy your every need.
If you are interested to know more, please do not hesitate to talk to our experts. We are your partner towards a sterile and clean environment. Feel free to browse through our website.